History of our Lodge

Bordesley Abbey Lodge, No. 4495, was the second Masonic Lodge to be founded in Redditch. The first Lodge to be founded was Seymour Lodge No.2804 which was founded in 1900. At that time the site of the Masonic Hall, in Ipsley Street, was in Warwickshire and, accordingly, Seymour Lodge was in the Masonic Province of Warwickshire. Some time later the County boundary was altered so that Ipsley Street became part of Worcestershire.

In 1922 a number of Redditch Masons decided that they would like to form a second Lodge in Redditch. It was decided to give it the name of Bordesley Abbey Lodge in memory of the Cistercian Abbey of Bordesley which existed for so many years just to the North of the town of Redditch. The Lodge was sponsored by Seymour Lodge but, as Ipsley Street was now part of Worcestershire they asked that the new Bordesley Abbey Lodge be part of the Masonic Province of Worcestershire, At first the then Grand Master, HRH the Duke of Connaught refused to allow a Worcestershire Lodge to use the premises of a Warwickshire Lodge, (Seymour). However, after a joint appeal by the two Provincial Grand Masters HRH the Grand Master reversed his former decision and allowed the Consecration to go ahead.

The Lodge was consecrated on the 22 nd March 1923 at a ceremony at the Church Institute, Easemore Road, Redditch, and W.Bro. W. G. Thomas was installed as the first Master. The first Wardens were W.Bro. A. V. Terry as Senior Warden and Bro. T. C. Patchett as Junior Warden.

For many years the membership of the Lodge included many of the leading personalities of Redditch. W.Bro. W. G. Thomas and W. Bro. Col. A. C. W Hobson were two leading solicitors in the town. Dr. H, E. Collier was a leading G.P. in the town, W.Bro. F. W. Smith was Chairman of the Royal Enfield Cycle Company, and W. Bro. A. V. Terry , the inventor of the wellknown 'Anglepoise Lamp' was a senior member of Herbert Terry Ltd, the leading spring manufacturers in Redditch. W.Bro. the Rev. P. Scott Warren was an ordained priest. W.Bro. F. Blackford was Chairman of the Redditch Benefit Building Society. Furthermore a number of other members of the Lodge were Directors of many of the smaller Companies in the town.During its history no fewer than seven members of the Lodge have received Grand Lodge Honours, one of whom, W.Bro. D. Lewin, was appointed an Assistant Provincial Grand Master and six members of the Lodge were appointed Acting Provincial Wardens of the Province of Worcestershire. Bordesley Abbey Lodge currently boasts three Grand Lodge Officers amongst its Membership.

by - W.Bro.Alan G.Wright, TD,JP.

 

countercountercountercountercountercounter